Every expectant mother hopes for a smooth pregnancy. However, some women may require some extra support for certain things, such as with multiple fetuses, chronic conditions like diabetes or heart disease, and with babies who are not developing normally.
MedStar St. Mary's Hospital works with a series of specialists who focus on prenatal evaluation and care. If needed, the women's health specialists at MedStar St. Mary's will refer you to the proper specialist for high-risk pregnancy care, including:
- Maternal-fetal medicine counseling
- Reproductive genetics counseling
- Fetal diagnosis
- Cancer genetics
Fetal Diagnostic Procedures:
- First-trimester screening and nuchal translucency
- Detailed fetal ultrasound (Level II or targeted), including Doppler waveform studies
- Chorionic villus sampling (transabdominal and transcervical)
- Placental biopsy
- Fetal monitoring with biophysical profiles and non-stress tests
These tests can identify fetal chromosomal abnormalities, congenital anomalies, and fetal growth abnormalities, as well as confirm a healthy baby.