Incontinence services at MedStar Health include treatments for:
- Urinary incontinence
- Fecal incontinence
- Lower back pain
- Bladder pain
- Pelvic organ prolapsed
Incontinence may affect as many as 25 percent of females and 5 percent of males between the ages of 15 and 64. However, the actual numbers may be much higher, since many people never seek help. In addition, those who do seek help often wait for years before discussing the problem with their physician.
Diagnostic Tests and Nonsurgical Procedures
You don't have to live with the pain and embarrassment of rectal or urinary incontinence. MedStar offers a full range of advanced diagnostic services and nonsurgical therapies, including:
- Urodynamic testing assesses how well your bladder and muscles store and release urine.
- Anorectal manometry measures the pressure and electrical activity of the anal sphincter muscle and the rectum.
- Pudendal nerve testing measures the delay between an electrical impulse and the muscle contraction.
- Electric stimulation therapy stimulates the muscles of the pelvic floor.
- Biofeedback therapy uses an electronic device to help you strengthen the correct pelvic muscles.
For patients who do not find relief through therapy, surgery may be the answer. MedStar surgeons treat a wide range of gynecologic conditions using minimally invasive procedures. Conditions we treat include:
- Pelvic disorders and incontinence
- Ovarian cysts
Women with rectal, uterine or vaginal prolapse may require pelvic reconstructive surgery. Common pelvic procedures include:
- Cystocele repair, which tightens the tissue that separates the bladder and vagina.
- Rectocele repair, which tightens the tissue that separates the rectum and vagina.