At MedStar St. Mary's Hospital, our gynecologists coordinate care with your primary care physician to make sure you receive the best care over the long term. MedStar Health's gynecology services include all aspects of routine gynecologic care, with a focus on wellness and prevention.
Our specialists diagnose and treat such conditions as:
- Abnormal uterine bleeding: Abnormal pelvic bleeding can refer to either bleeding other than a menstrual period, or an unusually heavy period. Menorrhagia is the term used to describe uterine bleeding in between menstrual periods. Menometrorrhagia is both heavy menstrual bleeding and bleeding at abnormal times.
- Pelvic pain: Pelvic prolapse occurs when the muscles and ligaments supporting the pelvic organs weaken. This causes the pelvic organs, including the bladder, rectum, uterus, ovaries and fallopian tubes, to slip out of place. The organs then push against your vaginal walls, causing discomfort or pain. Pelvic prolapse often worsens over time and may require surgery to correct the problem.
- Gynecologic endocrine disorders: The endocrine system provides regulation of the body's different hormones. Many female endocrine disorders can be addressed. Such disorders may include: menstrual irregularities (such as amenorrhea, oligomenorrhea and dysmenorrhea), hormone imbalances premenstrual syndrome, inappropriate lactation precocious and delayed puberty, hirsutism (excessive hair growth), infertility - our doctors can provide initial evaluation and treatment and arrange for a referral to a specialist in reproductive endocrinology and infertility if needed.
- Endometriosis: The condition where tissue similar to the tissue in the uterus is found elsewhere in the body, usually in the pelvic region. During menstruation, when endometrial cells are shed, they may attach themselves outside the uterus and grow abnormally. Endometriosis can cause significant pelvic pain. Laparoscopic surgery can be performed to remove the growths; in severe cases, a hysterectomy may be necessary.
- Fibroids: Common benign tumors that develop in the uterus. Fibroids cause excessive menstrual bleeding, pelvic pain, and frequent urination. Though they are benign, they can cause discomfort and pain. The treatment depends on your age, the location of the fibroid and how rapidly it is growing. Our physicians are experts in diagnosing and treating uterine fibroids.
- Uterine growths and ovarian cysts: Small, fluid-filled sacs that develop in the ovaries. They are most likely to develop during a childbearing years. Cysts are typically benign and rarely indicate the presence of another disease. They can sometimes disappear on their own but they can also rupture, cause bleeding or be very painful. In more serious cases, surgery may be necessary.
- Urinary disorders: Urinary Incontinence is the loss of bladder control. The condition ranges in severity. For some people, it means leaking urine when sneezing or laughing; for others, the urge to urinate is so strong and sudden they often do not make it to the bathroom in time. Incontinence is an uncomfortable and often embarrassing problem. Often, people suffering from this condition do not report the problem to their doctor, or wait years to do so. However, at MedStar Health hospitals, we successfully treat patients for this condition every day.
- Bladder pain: A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection in any part of your urinary system including your kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra ( the structure through which urine passes before being expelled from the body). Most infections involve the lower urinary tract (the bladder and the urethra). The further up the urinary tract an infection occurs, the more serious the infection is.
Our gynecology services include:
- Disease Prevention: wellness education, seminars, screenings, risk assessments
- Routine Evaluation: annual well-woman visits
- Diagnostic Evaluation: pelvic imaging, colposcopy, specialized workups, biopsies, ultrasound, hysteroscopy
- Comprehensive Treatment: medical management, gynecologic surgery (including minimally invasive and laser surgery) to remove fibroids, abnormal growths, uterus, ovaries, cervix
- Menopause: hormone replacement therapy, bone density testing, heart testing
- Gynecologic Oncology: treatment of cancers of the vagina, cervix, uterus, ovary, and vulva; genetic testing for women with a family history of ovarian cancer
- Gynecologic Endocrinology: menstrual irregularities, hormone imbalances, inappropriate lactation, precocious and delayed puberty, hirsutism (excessive hair growth), infertility
- Gynecologic Urology: incontinence, prolapse, bladder disorders, urologic cancers
- Counseling: Sexually transmitted diseases, family planning
- Fertility Services
We also have the resources and expertise to treat HIV-positive patients and other immunosuppressed patients. Whenever possible, we offer services on an outpatient basis. When you do need to be admitted to the hospital, we have comfortable inpatient units that meet the special needs of our women patients.