Our bariatric program teams work with each patient to develop a weight loss strategy and choose the surgery that is right for them. Each recommendation is made on a case-by-case basis, with the patient's weight loss needs and their overall lifestyle in mind. As with any surgical procedure, potential risks and complications can occur with weight loss surgery. We're committed to providing you with the information you need to make a well-informed decision about your surgery.
We know that pursuing a surgical solution for weight loss is a serious decision and want to ensure that you are an ideal candidate for the surgery.
To us, this means you:
- Have been overweight for more than five years
- Have seriously tried other diets
- Do not have untreated medical conditions that could be causing obesity
- Show evidence of weight loss in our preoperative weight management program
- Have a body mass index (BMI) of
- 35 or more with at least one weight-related medical condition
- 40 or more with no weight-related medical condition
- Are at least 18 years old
Additionally, you must be:
- Committed to a major lifestyle change
- Healthy enough to undergo a major operation
- Free of unstable psychiatric issues
- Free from alcohol, tobacco, or substance abuse
In preparing for an appointment with our bariatric surgeon, be sure to:
- Obtain a referral (if necessary) from your primary care physician.
- Bring your documentation. If you attended any weight management programs in the past two years, bring that documentation for your initial consultation
- Meet the criteria of having a BMI exceeding 40 or a BMI of 35-40 with one co-morbidity such as hypertension, diabetes II, high cholesterol, sleep apnea etc.
Schedule a Consultation Today
To request an appointment with a dietician, call 301-475-6019.
Dr. Nicholas Tapazoglou is available from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. daily. He is board-certified in general surgery and is able to coordinate patient care through a wide range of specialty physicians available through the MedStar Health system. He offers care and treatment for various conditions, including abdominal wall/hernia, gallbladder, morbid obesity, skin and soft tissue, small intestine, spleen, stomach, surgical treatments of gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD) and thyroid.
Body Composition Analysis
Ready to start that new fitness plan or want to measure the progress of your current fitness routine? The analysis includes measurements and an in-depth look at body composition. Cost is $15. Request an appointment by calling 301-475-6019.