Every day, countless people experience problems that significantly affect their ability to manage their daily lives. At MedStar Health, our occupational therapists help people regain and develop skills for independent living and overall health.
Occupational therapy helps pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patients improve the functional use of upper extremities. It also helps performance skills for daily living activities, as well as thinking, visual, spatial and perceptual skills.
In order to develop an individualized treatment plan, we assess:
- Activities of daily living: dressing, bathing, grooming/hygiene, toileting and feeding abilities
- Functional mobility: bed mobility, toilet and bathtub transfers, and sitting/standing balance
- Physical limitations: impact of pain, shortness of breath, reaching ability and balance on the patient's ability to perform daily living activities
- Upper extremity function: passive and active joint range of motion, strength, muscle tone, coordination, movement patterns and sensation
- Home management: ability to perform household tasks, money management, functional communication (e.g., using the telephone, writing a letter) and care for dependent children or adults
- Perceptual skills: visual scanning and tracking, motor-planning, figure-ground discrimination and depth perception
- Community living and leisure: ability to function within the community (e.g., driving, use of public transportation) and participate in leisure activities
- Vocational skills: skills for work readiness or performing job tasks
Inpatient and outpatient occupational therapy services are provided to people with disabilities resulting from:
- Spinal cord injury
- Brain injury
- Cardiac problems
- Work-related injuries, including lower back problems and repetitive stress injuries
- Sports injuries
- Other orthopedic and musculoskeletal conditions
- Other neurologic conditions
Occupational therapy services are offered throughout MedStar Health. These services offer adults, adolescents and children skills needed to lead independent and satisfying lives. All MedStar Health occupational therapists are skilled professionals who are trained and experienced in their specialty areas.
Occupational therapy services offered include:
- Assessment of skills needed to perform activities of daily living
- Customized treatment designed to improve patients' abilities to carry out the activities of daily living
- Comprehensive home and worksite evaluation and recommendations for needed adaptations
- Recommendations and training in the use of adaptive equipment
- Patient, family, and caregiver education
Our occupational therapists work closely with other MedStar Health rehabilitation team members including physicians, rehabilitation nurses, physical therapists, rehabilitation engineers, therapeutic recreation specialists, vocational rehabilitation specialists, speech-language pathologists, social workers and psychologists.