Family medicine—a primary care specialty—is the only medical specialty that provides comprehensive medical care regardless of age, sex, or the nature of the illness. It is unique in that it is concerned with the family as a unit and how family interactions affect health. MedStar Health family physicians are trained in a broad range of areas, including adult medicine, pediatrics, geriatrics, orthopedics, gynecology, obstetrics, office surgery, behavioral health, and sex and family counseling.
Whether you are pregnant and need care through delivery and care for your child, an older adult needing specific treatment for your advanced years, or a child or adult with intellectual and developmental disabilities, our specialists can help. We take care of our patients in the hospital, the doctor's office, the home, and the nursing home—available for whatever your care may need.
Examples of the services we offer include:
- Preventive Health: well-child care, adult physicals, geriatric assessments, well-woman exams, contraceptive maintenance, school physicals, weight-loss guidance
- Chronic Disease Management: high blood pressure, acne, diabetes, hypothyroidism, depression, anxiety, allergies, asthma, complex disabilities
- Acute Care: injuries (sprains, car accidents, burns, etc.), illnesses (sore throats, coughs, STDs, headaches, etc.)
- Procedures: skin removals, mole biopsy, laceration repair, colposcopy
In-Home Family Medicine at MedStar Visiting Nurse Association
To support good health in our communities, MedStar Visiting Nurse Association (VNA) provides a variety of wellness services to families and organizations across the region.
- Lab Draw Services: For some, leaving home is not always easy. MedStar VNA offers in-home laboratory services for blood tests, in accordance with the physician’s orders. In-home lab services eliminate the hassle and challenge of scheduling and leaving home to have blood and other specimens collected.
- Vaccination Services: MedStar VNA can help protect members of your family or your organization from the seasonal flu and other infectious diseases. Our team of experienced nurses provides on-site vaccinations at locations all over the Maryland, Washington, D.C.. and northern Virginia regions. We bring vaccines to you.
- Wellness Services: MedStar VNA provides health screenings, education, and wellness services, including:
- Health screenings: cholesterol, glucose, blood pressure, body mass analysis
- Tuberculosis (TB) testing
- Employee weight-loss program
- Educational presentations
MedStar Visiting Nurse Association's home healthcare professionals travel across Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Virginia to provide care 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Contact them today.
Family Care In Your Neighborhood
Whether you’re suffering from a chronic condition or a sudden cold, visit MedStar St. Mary's outpatient primary care office located in Lexington Park for a wide-range of family care services, including preventive medicine and sick care. Call or visit today!
Now Accepting New Patients
Attention: MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital Primary Care office recently moved to the completed East Run Center in Lexington Park, across from Great Mills High School. Please note the phone number for making appointments. Thank you.