The infectious diseases departments at MedStar Health hospitals offer specialized expertise in both the diagnosis and management of patients with a full range of infectious diseases. We provide both primary and consultative care to patients on an inpatient and outpatient basis.
Our teams of expert physicians and other clinicians provide care in close collaboration with our clinical microbiology laboratory. Our outpatient infectious diseases clinic offers comprehensive care of HIV-infected adults, diagnosis and management of acute and chronic infections, and a travel medicine clinic.
Education of the next generation of physicians is of paramount importance, and we provide training in infectious diseases to medical students, medical residents and sub-specialty fellows. We are involved in a number of clinical and research protocols for patients with HIV/AIDS, solid organ transplantation and other immune-compromising conditions.
Infectious Disease Conditions and Treatments
Our expertise in evaluation and treatment includes:
- Blood stream infections
- Bone and joint infections
- C. difficile
- Central nervous infections, including meningitis
- Fever of unknown etiology
- Fungal infections
- HIV disease and AIDS
- Infections in patients with cancer
- Infections in patients on immunosuppressive therapy
- International and travel medicine
- Lyme disease
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) skin infections
- Mycobacterial infections
- Parasitic diseases
- Post-operative infections
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Transplant Patients: Pre-transplant infectious disease evaluation and evaluation of post-transplant infections
The special services we provide to our patients include:
- Home infusion management
- Post hospital care
- Psychosocial support
- Nurse management
Infectious disease experts are an important part of the transplant process, and play a critical role in evaluating both the donor and the patient needing the transplant. Our team also plays an active role in the transplant committee. We provide evaluation and management, as well as prevention of infections, in recipients and prospective recipients of solid organ transplants.