Gastroenterology (GI) refers to a branch of medicine that focuses on the digestive system, which comprises such organs as the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon (large intestine), and rectum.
Patients with conditions of the digestive tract often suffer for years before their conditions are accurately diagnosed and treated. MedStar Health doctors are nationally recognized gastroenterologists and hepatologists who can diagnose your condition, provide effective treatments and therapies, and improve your quality of life.
GI conditions we treat include:
Acid reflux, Barrett’s esophagus, biliary diseases, celiac disease, cholelithiasis (gallstones), cholestasis, chronic constipation and diarrhea, chronic abdominal pain, colorectal cancer screening, esophageal disorders, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), gastrointestinal bleeding, hepatitis, irritable bowel syndrome, inflammatory bowel disease, liver diseases, nausea and vomiting, pancreatic diseases, rectal bleeding and pain, small bowel diseases, stomach disorders, and other conditions.
Our technology, as well as our approach to treatment, is tailored to the specific needs of each individual patient. Our doctors have access to the latest diagnostic and treatment technology available, which enables us to consistently produce exceptional success rates and provide a full range of treatment options, including:
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- ERCP is a highly specialized technique that combines endoscopy with contrast dye to examine the pancreas, liver, gallbladder, and the network of ducts that carry digestive fluids.
- Enteroscopy (Small Bowel Endoscopy)
- An enteroscopy allows the visualization of the entire length of the small intestine using balloon and double balloon technology, which can allow your physician to identify the cause of unexplained gastrointestinal bleeding, small bowel tumors, and other possible conditions.
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS) and Fine Needle Aspiration
- EUS combines endoscopy and ultrasound, which uses sound waves to generate an image on a monitor. A tiny ultrasound transducer is mounted on the tip of the endoscope, allowing the physician to obtain high-quality ultrasound images from inside the body.
- Colonoscopy is a test that allows your doctor to look at the inner lining of your large intestine (rectum and colon). A thin, flexible, lighted tube called a colonoscope is inserted into the rectum and entire colon to find ulcers, colon polyps, tumors, and areas of inflammation or bleeding. During a colonoscopy, tissue samples can be collected (biopsy) and abnormal growths can be taken out. Colonoscopy can also be used as a screening test to check for cancer or precancerous growths in the colon or rectum (polyps). Often, colon cancer presents no noticeable symptoms in the early stages, which is when it’s most treatable—making screenings such as colonoscopies are very important.
Colon and rectal surgery
MedStar Health's colon and rectal physicians are specifically trained in the latest techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the colon and rectum. We offer symptomatic relief and treatment for hemorrhoids, fissures, diverticular disease, and polyps, among other conditions.
Colon and rectal surgeons typically treat the following areas of the gastrointestinal tract:
- Small intestine
- Large intestine or colon
- Rectum—the end of the large intestine
- Anus—the end of the intestinal tract where the sphincter muscle opens and closes the rectum to outside of the body
Your physician will partner with you to create a treatment plan appropriate for your condition. We offer the greatest level of comfort and minimally invasive techniques, which reduce recovery time, minimize hospital stay, and facilitate return to normal daily activity.
Introducing Dr. Anand Nath
Board-certified gastroenterologist Anand Nath, MD, is accepting new patients in Leonardtown. Specializing in conditions related to the digestive system, Dr. Nath partners with patients to treat acid reflux, celiac disease, irritable bowel syndrome, stomach disorders, and more. In-person and video visits are available.
MedStar Medical Group Gastroenterology at St. Mary’s
MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital, Outpatient Pavilion, Suite P250
25500 Point Lookout Road, Leonardtown, MD 20650
New Patients Forms
for Dr. Nath
- Medical Records Release
- HIPAA Disclosure Form
- Patient Registration and Authorization Form
- Reporting Test Results and Scheduling Appointments
- New Patient Packet
- Past Hospitalizations Form
- Past Medical History Form
- Prescription Medications Form
Locate a physician to fit your needs: