The progressive MedStar Wound Healing Center at MedStar St. Mary's offers hyperbaric oxygen therapy or HBOT. It's a simple yet effective treatment process in which a patient breathes pure oxygen inside a pressurized chamber. The combination of high pressure, equal to being 33 to 45 feet under the ocean, and pure oxygen can help your body heal itself at a quicker rate than traditional treatment. Our MedStar Wound Healing Center is equipped with two HBOT chambers with clear sides through which patients can see their surroundings. The chambers are in a private room and are equipped with a television for added comfort.
The HBOT creates a high atmospheric pressure environment that allows for the greatest amount of oxygen to make its way into your lungs. The added oxygen in your lungs heads into the bloodstream and is delivered to cells throughout your body. The healing process is highly dependent on having enough oxygen. By exposing yourself to high levels of oxygen in the HBOT, your body's natural healing capabilities are stimulated.
- A trained clinician will be in the room with each patient during treatment and can communicate with them at any time.
- The number of treatments needed per patient varies, but most patients receive between 30 and 40 treatments.
- Treatments last about two hours per session. Most patients receive one treatment per day, Monday through Friday.
- If a patient should feel claustrophobic, their physician can prescribe medication.
- Before each treatment, clinicians will take the patient's vital signs, listen to their lungs and exam their ears. Patients who have diabetes will have their blood sugar checked.
In the News
Wound Healing Center Awarded by Healogics
MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital Wound Healing Center recently received three awards from the nation’s largest provider of advanced wound care services; the Center of Excellence, President's Circle, and Center of the Year for the Atlantic Zone.
Healogics recognized the center for achieving outstanding clinical outcomes, high patient satisfaction, and wound healing rates, consistently over a twelve-month period. A member of the Healogics network of nearly 800 Centers, MedStar Wound Healing Center at MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital offers highly specialized wound care to patients suffering from ulcers, infections, and other chronic wounds, as well as advanced treatments including negative pressure wound therapy, bio-engineered skin substitutes, and hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
MedStar Health Wound Healing Center
Meet Our Team
- Richard Greengold, MD, Medical Director
- Alicia Nelson, Program Director
- Mary (Jodi) Black, Clinical Coordinator
- John Harvey, MD, Vascular Surgeon
- Denise Tucker, Front Office Coordinator