The progressive MedStar Wound Healing Center offers hyperbaric oxygen therapy or HBOT. It's a simple yet effective treatment process in which a patient breathes pure oxygen inside a pressurized chamber. The combination of high pressure, equal to being 33 to 45 feet under the ocean, and pure oxygen can help your body heal itself at a quicker rate than traditional treatment. Our MedStar Wound Healing Center is equipped with two HBOT chambers.
The HBOT creates a high atmospheric pressure environment that allows for the greatest amount of oxygen to make its way into your lungs. The added oxygen in your lungs heads into the bloodstream and is delivered to cells throughout your body. The healing process is highly dependent on having enough oxygen. By exposing yourself to high levels of oxygen in the HBOT, your body's natural healing capabilities are stimulated.
MedStar St. Mary's Center for Wound Healing will be equipped with two such chambers with clear sides through which patients can see their surroundings. The chambers are in a private room and are equipped with a television for added comfort.
- A trained clinician will be in the room with each patient during treatment and can communicate with them at any time.
- The number of treatments needed per patient varies, but most patients receive between 30 and 40 treatments.
- Treatments last about two hours per session. Most patients receive one treatment per day, Monday through Friday.
- If a patient should feel claustrophobic, their physician can prescribe medication.
- Before each treatment, clinicians will take the patient's vital signs, listen to their lungs and exam their ears. Patients who have diabetes will have their blood sugar checked.