Emergency Care Services
If you are facing a life-threatening situation, call 9-1-1.
Exceptional emergency treatment is available through MedStar St. Mary's Hospital for severe, life-threatening conditions. With expert physicians and experienced nurses, we offer comprehensive emergency evaluations and treatments—all within a caring and compassionate environment.
We offer immediate care for:
- Head injury or any major injury; loss of consciousness
- Signs of heart attack or stroke: sudden, severe pain and/or chest pain, discomfort or difficulty breathing; sudden or unexpected paralysis
- Uncontrolled or excessive bleeding; coughing up or vomiting blood
- Severe burns or headaches
- Poisoning, suspected poisoning or drug overdose
- Major trauma and accidents, including falls and car crashes
- Injuries caused by violence, such as gunshot wounds
- Extreme emotional distress, including suicidal or homicidal feelings
What to bring with you to the ER:
If you are headed to a MedStar Health Emergency Department, take a few minutes to gather information and items that will make your visit go smoothly. We recommend bringing:
- A family member or friend: Having someone with you can be emotionally comforting. If your condition is serious, you may need someone to provide information or instructions on your behalf.
- Identification cards: Driver's License, Social Security Card and insurance card(s). Insurance information is not required until before you're discharged.
- List of medications and dosage: This information will help the medical staff avoid prescribing drugs that will interact with medication(s) you're already taking.
- Primary care physician information: Contact information for your primary care physician is helpful should questions arise.
Tired of Waiting? Try Our Additional Services:
If you are not experiencing an emergency needing immediate care, community-based urgent care services are available. MedStar Health Urgent Care at Charlotte Hall offers fast, convenient care for treatment of minor injuries and illnesses, such as cold and flu symptoms, infections, allergies, earaches and rising temperatures, treatments for sprains, strains, or broken bones, minor burns and cuts, sports physicals, migraines, flu shots, concussion evaluations, and onsite imaging and laboratory services.
Call 301-290-1499 Today
Monday - Friday: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
MedStar eVisit is available 24/7 and provides anytime access to urgent care for patients of all ages where it’s most convenient for you—at home, in the office or on the go. Connect using your smartphone, computer or tablet to get a diagnosis and prescription, if needed. You don’t have to be a MedStar Health patient to use this service—enrollment is free and no appointment is ever needed.
Enroll For Free. After registering, you can have a secure virtual consultation for a non-emergency medical issue within minutes through your computer or mobile device. Each visit costs $59 or less* and insurance is not required. Learn more.
*MedStar eVisit is covered by some insurance providers. Contact your insurance provider to determine whether your visit will be covered.
Learn about the differences between primary, online, urgent, and emergency care.