The Philanthropy Committee of the MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital Board of Directors serves as the fundraising arm of MedStar St. Mary's Hospital. Since 1912, MedStar St. Mary's Hospital has been dedicated to meeting the healthcare needs of our community. The hospital is a not-for-profit facility offering a full range of inpatient and outpatient services, health education and community outreach The Philanthropy Committee, formerly the St. Mary’s Hospital Foundation, raises private funds to support capital expansion projects, advanced medical technology and programs. Since 2001, it has awarded scholarships to more than 140 individuals pursuing education in nursing and healthcare fields.
The Philanthropy Committee is comprised of community volunteers who recognize the positive impact of philanthropy on the hospital and our community's health. The committee appreciates your continued support of our hospital and wants you to know that your participation at any level matters. The Philanthropy Committee offers several events and opportunities throughout the year, including the annual MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital Gala.
Philanthropy Committee members include:
- Christine Wray, president MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital
- Sarah Fawcett-Lee, Vice-President, Philanthropy Services, MedStar Health
- Karen Garner
- Yahia Tagouri, MD
- Rick Tepel
- Lea Weaver
- Vince Whittles, Chair
- Beverly Wood
Interested in a healthcare scholarship? Since 2001, the MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital has been awarding scholarships to Southern Maryland candidates interested in pursuing a healthcare career. The Committee accepts applications from individuals interested not only in nursing, but also in the growing field of allied health. These allied health professionals are involved in many aspects of health care, including but not limited to:
- Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Laboratory Technology
Each of the scholarships awarded cover payment for tuition, books, and fees associated with the degree or certification.
Scholarship Application Requirements:
- Scholarships are only for residents of Southern Maryland: St. Mary's, Charles and Calvert counties.
- You must have at least a 3.0 high school GPA if applying within four years of high school graduation.
- If it has been more than four years since high school graduation, please submit an ACT score or proof of degree from another school. (This program is not exclusively focusing on high-school aged students; many receive a scholarship as a second career.)
- In return for receiving the scholarship, recipients will commit to working at MedStar St. Mary's Hospital for at least one year if a position is available.
For more information on the scholarship program, please call MedStar St. Mary's Hospital Human Resources at 301-475-6018.