Congress created the 340B drug savings program to help those hospitals serving vulnerable communities expand access to prescription drugs and support essential services for their communities. The savings generated from the 340B drug discount program are used by MedStar St. Mary's Hospital to help keep pace with the rapidly rising costs of prescription drugs, as well as to offer additional needed services to our community such as the ones described below.
Access to Care
- East Run Center is a capital project in Lexington Park, Maryland, identified as the area of greatest need serviced by MedStar St Mary’s Hospital. Services now available include
- Safety net Dental clinic
- Behavioral health practice
- Primary Care practice
- Community health workers
- Prescription Drugs provided free of charge to appropriate uninsured and under-insured individuals at discharge.
- Bedside Rx Delivery Service is a free service to eliminate barriers such as transportation, to help patients take prescribed medications as instructed, to improve health outcomes and avoid readmission.
- Physician subsidies to allow needed specialists and primary care practices to provide services in the community examples include OB/GYNs, general and vascular surgeons, orthopaedic surgeons, urologists and oncologists, including access to expensive chemotherapy and infusion services.
Social Determinants of Health
- AccessHealth – outpatient Care Coordination, Community Health workers, and transportation services for vulnerable individuals in St. Mary’s County to aid in stabilizing citizens in outpatient services in the community.
- Medical Respite program – allows homeless individuals as safe place to convalesce after an inpatient stay as a partnership with DSS and local homeless shelter.
- Patient Financial services – assistance to qualify for reduced or no cost care as well as assistance to apply for Medicaid.
Health and Wellness
- Chronic Disease Programs are offered throughout the year at low or no cost to the participant to influence education, self-management and decrease burden of common chronic conditions.
Programs available include:
- Simple Changes – National Diabetes Prevention Program
- Living Well with Diabetes
- Walk with Ease
- Blood Pressure Checks
- Body composition analysis
- Cholesterol and glucose screenings
- Sepsis education
- Breastfeeding Resource Center – outpatient lactation telephone support and weekly support group for new mothers.
- Support groups
- Bariatric support group
- Breast Cancer
- Flu shots
- Faith based partnerships – provide health educators and screenings for faith based organizations in the community upon request.
- Women’s Wellness Day – day long free women’s conference co-sponsored with a local African American Women’s service organization.
- Provide staff and leadership to the Healthy St. Mary’s Partnership, the County’s Local Health Improvement Coalition.
- Associate Scholarships – provide tuition assistance to associates via a competitive process over and above the tuition benefit provided by MedStar Health.
- Summer interns – employ high school and college students for 10 weeks each summer in a variety of departments throughout the hospital.
- Student preceptors – provide thousands of hours of staff time to preceptor students from various colleges in the region in associates, bachelors and masters programs.