Dr. Yongxing Zhou (pronounced “Joe”) cares for patients with a wide range of neurological needs and his subspecialty is epilepsy. Dr. Zhou is board-certified and completed his medical residency and internship at Florida State University, the University of Florida, and Howard University Hospital. Following those programs, Dr. Zhou conducted his fellowship training in epilepsy at George Washington University Hospital. He joined the medical staff at MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital in 2018.
Dr. Zhou specializes in neurology and epilepsy disorders and believes in treating the patient as a whole person. He gives each patient his focused attention, listens to their concerns, and takes the time to understand their symptoms to ensure the correct diagnosis. He partners with his patients to find the best treatment options for them, using evidence-based medicine and the latest advancements in the field. Dr. Zhou is committed to providing the best possible care and establishing long-lasting relationships with his patients.
1. Igarashi S, Takiyama Y, Cancel G, Rogaeva EA, Sasaki H, Wakisaka A, Zhou YX, Takano H, Endo K, Sanpei K, Oyake M, Tanaka H, Stevanin G, Abbas N, Durr A, Rogaev EI, Sherrington R, Tsuda T, Ikeda M, Cassa E, Nishizawa M, Benomar A, Julien J, Weissenbach J, Tsuji S. Intergenerational instability of the CAG repeat of the gene for Machado-Joseph disease (MJD1) is affected by the genotype of the normal chromosome: implications for the molecular mechanisms of the instability of the CAG repeat. Human Molecular Genetics 1996; 5:923-932.
2. Zhou YX, Takiyama Y, Igarashi S, Li YF, Zhou BY, Gui DC, Endo K, Tanaka H, Chen ZH, Zhou LS, Fan MZ, Yang BX, Weissenbach J, Wang GX, Tsuji S. Machado-Joseph disease in four Chinese families: molecular analysis of 15 patients including 2 juvenile cases and its clinical correlations. Neurology 1997; 48:482-485.
3. Zhou YX, Wang GX, Tang BS, Li WD, Wang DA, Lee HS, Sambuughin N, Zhou LS, Tsuji S, Yang BX, Goldfarb LG. Spinocerebellar ataxia type 2 in China: molecular analysis and genotype-phenotype correlation in nine families. Neurology 1998; 51: 595-598.
4. Zhou YX, Xu X, Chen L, Li C, Brodie SG, Deng CX. A proline to arginine substitution at codon 252 (pro252arg) in fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 (FGFR1) promotes premature intramembranous ossification and results in Pfeiffer syndrome. Human Molecular Genetics, 2000; 9:2001-2008.
5. Gaspar C, Lopes-Cendes I, Hayes S, Goto J, Arvidsson K, Dias A, Silveira I, Maciel P, Coutinho P, Lima M, Zhou YX, Soong BW, Watanabe M, Giunti P, Stevanin G, Riess O, Sasaki H, Hsieh M, Nicholson GA, Brunt E, Higgins JJ, Lauritzen M, Tranebjaerg L, Volpini V, Wood N, Ranum L, Tsuji S, Brice A, Sequeiros J, Rouleau GA. Ancestral origins of the Machado-Joseph disease mutation: a worldwide haplotype study. Am J Hum Genet. 2001, 68(2):523-8.
6. Zhou YX, Qiao WH, Gu WH, Xie H, Tang BS, Zhou LS, Yang BX, Takiyama Y, Tsuji S, He HY, Deng CX, Goldfarb LG, Wang GX. Spinocerebellar ataxia type 1 in China: molecular analysis and genotype-phenotype correlation in five families. Archives of Neurology 2001, 58:789-794.
7. Zhou YX, Zhao M, Shimazu M, Sakata K, Deng CX, Lu B. Cerebellar Deficits and Hyperactivity in Mice Lacking Smad4. J. Bio Chem, 2003, 278: 42313-42320.
8. Li SH, Yu ZX, Li CL, Nguyen HP, Zhou YX, Deng CX, and Li XJ. Lack of Huntingtin-Associated Protein-1 Causes Neuronal Death Resembling Hypothalamic Degeneration in Huntington's Disease. J. Neurosci. 2003;23: 6956-6964
9. Gu WH, Ma H, Wang K, Jin M, Zhou YX, Liu X, Wang G, Shen Y. The Shortest Expanded Allele of the MJD1 Gene in a Chinese MJD Kindred with Autonomic Dysfunction. Eur Neurology 2004; 52: 107-111
10. Jiang H, Tang B, Xia K, Zhou YX, Xu B, Zhao G, Li H, Shen L, Pan Q, Cai F. Spinocerebellar ataxia type 6 in Mainland China: molecular and clinical features in four families. J Neurol Sci. 2005; 236: 25-29.
11. Murtie JC, Zhou YX, Le TQ, Vana AC, Armstrong RC. Platelet-derived growth factor regulates oligodendrocyte progenitor numbers in adult CNS and their response following CNS demyelination. Neurobiol Dis. 2005; 19:171-182.
12. Murtie JC, Zhou YX, Le TQ, Armstrong RC. Fibroblast growth factor 2 (FGF2) inhibits differentiation of oligodendrocyte progenitors during myelination and remyelination. Glia 2005; 49: 542-54
13. Gu WH, Wang GX, Xiao J, Wang MY, Zhou YX. Clinical and Genetic Analysis of a Large Chinese Family with Myoclonic Epilepsy, Intention Tremors and Ataxia. Chin J Neurology, 2006; 39:399-402.
14. Zhou YX, Flint NC, Murtie JC, Le TQ, Armstrong RC. Retroviral Lineage Analysis of Fibroblast Growth Factor (FGF) Receptor Signaling in FGF2 Inhibition of Oligodendrocyte Progenitor Differentiation. Glia, 2006, 54:578-590.
15. Armstrong RC, Le TQ, Flint NC, Vana AC, Zhou YX. Endogenous cell repair of chronic demyelination. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology. 2006; 65:245-256.
16. Zhou YX and Armstrong RC. Interaction of Fibroblast Growth Factor 2 (FGF2) and Notch Signaling Components in Inhibition of Oligodendrocyte Progenitor (OP) Differentiation. Neuroscience letter, 2007; 421:27-32.
17. Zhao M, Li D, Shimazu K, Zhou YX, Lu B, Deng CX. Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor-1 Is Required for Long-Term Potentiation, Memory Consolidation, and Neurogenesis. Biol Psychiatry, 2007; 62:381-390.
19. Zhou YX, Pannu R, Le TQ, Armstrong RC. FGFR1 Modulation Regulates Repair Capacity of Oligodendrocyte Progenitor Cells Following Chronic Demyelination. Neurobiol Dis. 2012, 45:196-205.
21. Zhou YX, Fox D, Anand A, Elhaj A, Kapoor A, Najibi F, Kim H, Weir R, Jayam-Trouth A. Artery of Percheron Infarction as an Unusual Cause of Korsakoff's Syndrome. Case Reports in Neurological Medicine, 2015
22. Zhou YX, Anand A, Najibi F, Temesgen F, Patel M, Katz D, Weir R, Dunlap S, Jayam-Trouth A. Varicella-Zoster Virus (VZV) Reactivation Resulting in Stroke and Myelitis. Annals of Neurology, 140th ANA meeting abstract issue, 2015
23. Anand A, Zhou YX, Najibi F, Weir R, Dunlap S, Jayam-Trouth A. Unusual Clinical Presentation/Reactivation of Herpes Simplex Virus Encephalitis after cranioplasty eight years ago. Epilepsia, 69th AES meeting abstract issue, 2015
24. Zhou YX, Anand A, Najibi F, Dunlap S, Weir R, Jayam-Trouth A. Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) associated with methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) A1298C mutation during early pregnancy: case report and literature review. Annals of Neurology, 2016, 80 (suppl 20): S133
25. Zhou YX, Pfeiffer M, Elhaj A, Ali-Eltom M, Fox D, Balish M, Weir R, Jayam-Trouth A. Jerky dystonic shoulder after posterior thalamic infarction: two cases report and literature review. Annals of Neurology, 2016, 80 (suppl 20): S139
26. Zhou YX, Anand A, Najibi F, Patel M, Katz D, Weir R, Dunlap S, Jayam-Trouth A. Varicella-zoster virus reactivation resulting in stroke and progressive outer retinal necrosis: case report and literature review. EC Neurology, 2017, 6.5: 238-242
27. Ankrah NK, Zhou YX, Weir R, Jayam-Trouth A. Bilateral occipital infarction presenting as Anton-Babinski Syndrome and Charles Bonnet Syndrome. EC Neurology, 2017, 7.2: 40-45
28. Cen Z, Chen Y, Yang D, Zhu Q, Chen S, Chen X, Wang B, Xie F, Ouyang Z, Jiang Z, Fu A, Hu B, Yin H, Qiu X, Yu F, Du X, Hao W, Liu Y, Wang H, Wang L, Yu X, Xiao Y, Liu C, Xiao J, Zhou Y, Yang W, Zhang B, Luo W. Intronic (TTTGA) n insertion in SAMD12 also causes familial cortical myoclonic tremor with epilepsy. Mov Disord, 2019, 34 :1571-1576.
29. Zhou YX, Sood R, Wang Q, Carrington B, Park M, Young A, Birnbaum D, Liu Z, Ashizawa T, Mullikin J, Koubeissi M, and Liu P. Clinical and Genomic Analysis of a Large Chinese Family with Familial Cortical Myoclonic Tremor with Epilepsy and SAMD12 Intronic Repeats Expansion. Epilepsia Open, 2021, 6 :102-111.