2017 Scholarship Recipients
Pictured Left to Right:
Hayley Mesmer, Physical Therapy
Kylee Wickline, Registered Nurse
Brenna Duke, Registered Nurse
Sydney Guthrie, Occupational Therapy
Bailey Schneider, Speech-Language Pathology
Jordan Janschek, Registered Nurse
Cassandra Oliver, Occupational Therapy
Megan Long, Physical Therapy
Jessica Thompson, Registered Nurse
Not Pictured: Dana King, Registered Nurse
Interested in a Healthcare Career?
MedStar St. Mary's Hospital recognizes the critical need for specially trained associates. The hospital has designed a scholarship program for individuals who seek an educational degree, license or certification that is essential to the care of our patients. MedStar St. Mary's Hospital provides scholarships in return for service for critical positions, such as registered nurses, imaging technologists, physical therapists, respiratory therapists, medical records coders, lab technologists and pharmacists, among other positions.
Through a grant with the Health Services Cost Review Commission, the hospital also funds scholarships for registered nurses who wish to complete their bachelor's degrees in nursing. Since 2001, the St. Mary's Hospital Foundation has been awarding scholarships to Southern Maryland candidates interested in pursuing a healthcare career. The Foundation accepts applications from individuals interested not only in nursing, but also in the growing field of allied health. These allied health professionals are involved in many aspects of health care, including, but not limited to:
- Physical, occupational and speech therapy
- Respiratory therapy
- Laboratory technology
Each of the scholarships awarded cover payment for tuition, books and fees associated with the degree or certification. Applications for the Foundation Scholarship will be available in the spring each year and can be picked up in the hospital's Human Resources Department. Download the 2017 application here.
Scholarship Application Requirements:
- The Foundation scholarship is only for residents of Southern Maryland: St. Mary's, Charles and Calvert counties.
- You must have at least a 3.0 high school GPA if applying within four years of high school graduation.
- If it has been more than four years since high school graduation, please submit an ACT score or proof of degree from another school. (This program is not exclusively focusing on high-school aged students; many receive a scholarship as a second career.)
- In return for receiving the scholarship, recipients will commit to working at MedStar St. Mary's Hospital.
For more information on the scholarship program, please call the MedStar St. Mary's Hospital Human Resources Department at 301-475-6018.