MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital Awards Eight Scholarships
May 9, 2019
MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital announced the winners of its 2019 scholarship Tuesday, May 7, during a reception held in their honor. The scholarships are funded by the Philanthropy Committee of the Hospital’s Board of Directors. Since 2001, 157 scholarships have been awarded and this year’s scholarships totaled nearly $100,000.
The 2019 scholarship winners are:
- Madeleine Bridgwater is a student at Leonardtown High School and plans to major in nursing
- Brooke Gatton attends Leonardtown High School and will major in nursing
- Amber Gontarek is a student at Leonardtown High School and plans to major in nursing
- Sarah Rannacher attends Leonardtown High School and will major in nursing
- Samantha Tercedo is a student at Leonardtown High School and plans to major in nursing
- Kylee Wickline attends York College of Pennsylvania and is majoring in nursing
- Samantha Wilt attends Towson University and is majoring in speech-language pathology
- Kaitlin Zelonis is a student at Leonardtown High School and plans to major in nursing
“I assure you that if you are one of the eight individuals sitting up here today you – and your family – should feel very proud,” said Rick Tepel, chair of the scholarship committee. “The entire committee was extremely impressed by all of the applicants for our 2019 scholarship program, and – to be honest – we had some difficult decisions to make.
“The road to this day was paved with many hours of hard work with more to come. MedStar St. Mary’s believes with your drive and determination, you will make a difference in the lives of many,” Tepel said.
The Philanthropy Committee, formerly the St. Mary’s Hospital Foundation, is a subset of MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital’s Board of Directors. The program is designed to help ensure the future of quality local healthcare. Applications are due each spring.
Visit MedStarStMarys.org/Scholarships to learn more.
The 2019 MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital Scholarship winner, pictured from left to right: Samantha Wilt, Sarah Rannacher, Amber Gonrarek, Madeleine Bridgwater, Brooke Gatton, Samantha Tercedo, and Kaitlin Zelonis. Not pictured, Kylee Wickline.
Photo Courtesy MedStar St. Mary’s Hopsital
About MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital
MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital (MSMH) is a full-service community hospital, delivering state-of-the-art emergency, acute inpatient and outpatient care in Leonardtown, Maryland. Nestled in a waterside community, MedStar St. Mary’s provides advanced technology with a dedication to excellence in all services provided. The not-for-profit hospital has been named among the nation’s Top 100 Hospitals™ and is an eight-time recipient of the prestigious Delmarva Medicare Excellence Award. In addition, MSMH received the Maryland Performance Excellence award at the Platinum level in 2014 – the highest in the state. Our staff is committed to providing quality and compassionate medical care for all patients by coupling innovation with our outstanding team of Medical Staff members, associates and volunteers. Visit MedStarStMarys.org to learn more.
Back to Top