St. Mary’s Hospital Foundation Awards 10 Healthcare Scholarships
June 12, 2017
Ensuring the Future of Health Care
Leonardtown, Maryland (May 30, 2017) – The St. Mary’s Hospital Foundation recently presented 10 area students with scholarships totaling $180,000. The students were recognized during a reception held May 23.
“We were truly impressed by all of the applicants this year,” Rick Tepel, chair of the Foundation scholarship committee said. “It is inspiring to meet all of the candidates and learn about their dreams and aspirations.”
Receiving the scholarships this year were:
- Bailey Schneider of Mechanicsville, speech-language pathology, Appalachian State
- Dana King of Lusby, nursing, Salisbury University
- Brenna Duke, of Hollywood, nursing, University of Mount Union
- Jordan Janshuk of Mechanicsville, nursing, College of Southern Maryland
- Jessica Thompson of Hollywood, nursing, Lynchburg College
- Kylee Wickline of Callaway, nursing, York College of Pennsylvania
- Cassie Oliver of Hollywood, occupational therapy, Misericordia University
- Sydney Guthrie of California, occupational therapy, Towson University
- Megan Long of Mechanicsville, physical therapy, Virginia Commonwealth University
- Hayley Mesmer of Lexington Park, physical therapy, St. Francis University
The Foundation has been presenting scholarships to area graduates since 2001 and including this year’s recipients, it has awarded 142 scholarships. Funds for the scholarships are raised through the Foundation’s annual Gala held each November. This year’s gala, Diamonds & Pearls: Cheers to 30 Years, will be held Nov. 17 at the Hollywood Volunteer Fire Department’s Social Hall. Many former recipients are currently employees of MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital.
“The Foundation believes all of this year’s recipients will play an important role in the future of health care in our community,” Tepel said.
St. Mary’s Hospital Foundation 2017 Scholarship Winners (pictured from left to right):
Sydney Guthrie, Brenna Duke, Hayley Mesmer, Kylee Wickline, Bailey Schneider, Megan Long, Jessica Thompson, Jordan Janschek and Cassandra Oliver. Not pictured is Dana King.
Back to Top