The MedStar St. Mary's Hospital Auxiliary has a legacy of service to MedStar St. Mary's Hospital. Established in 1916 by a group of physicians' wives and community women, the Auxiliary provided much needed assistance to the doctors, nurses and patients at MedStar St. Mary's Hospital. The Auxiliary was an important part of the day-to-day operations of the hospital, assisting with laundry, preparing meals and performing other hands-on duties.
As MedStar St. Mary's Hospital expanded, the role of the Auxiliary also increased as it incorporated fundraising into the list of support the group provided to the hospital. In fact, over the past two decades, the Auxiliary has contributed countless hours and monetary donations for vital hospital improvements. This dynamic group of volunteers raises funds through a variety of avenues, including jewelry shows, purse sales, the annual holiday bazaar, a golf tournament and funds raised through the Auxiliary Gift Shop, among other outlets.
The generosity of the Auxiliary is behind the purchase of many wonderful additions to MedStar St. Mary's Hospital, including mammography, fetal monitoring, infant warming and fluoroscopy equipment; improvements to the hospital's Cancer Care and Infusion Services and Perioperative Services departments; and construction of the Atrium. The Auxiliary has been instrumental in expansion and renovation projects, and has donated funds to purchase equipment in the Emergency Department and throughout the hospital.
To join the MedStar St. Mary's Hospital Auxiliary as a volunteer, contact our Auxiliary liaison at 301-475-6010.